Chicken Afritada Recipe, also known as Apritadang Manok. Afritada is one of those tomato sauce based stews that many Filipinos believed have been introduced in the Philippines by the Spaniards.
Chicken Afritada is so popular and loved by many Filipinos, that’s why most Karinderias in the Philippines sell this dish. The reason Chicken Afritada is popular because it is delicious and an easy-to-make homestyle dish, it may look similar to Menudo and Caldereta but it is totally different in terms of taste.
500 grams chicken parts
2 pieces medium sized potatoes, cut into cubes
1 piece large carrot, sliced into cubes
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, minced
Green and red bell pepper, sliced into strips
tomato sauce or 5 pcs fresh tomatoes, sliced (this can also be substituted with Afritada mix commonly available in the supermarket)
soy sauce and lemon for marinate (if you are not using Afritada mix)
green peas (optional)
1. Marinate the chicken in Soy sauce and lemon for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
2. Brown the garlic, onions and tomatoes and bell pepper.
3. Add the chicken and let it brown.
4. Add the rest of the marinate and tomato sauce. Let it simmer.
5. Add more water if the sauce is too thick.
6. Season with salt to taste.
7. Add the vegetables. Do not overcook the vegetables and must maintain its crispiness.
Note: If you are using Afritada mix, since it is already flavored, you may skip steps no 1 and 4.