Chicken Potato Salad are enjoyed by many people, especially in the summer months when cold food is preferable over hot mashed potatoes and roast chicken.
If you have a craving for chicken and potatoes, try this recipe. By combining the chicken and potatoes in a salad, you save time, and have a delicious main dish that includes all the food groups for healthy eating.
1 big chicken breast
1 kilo potatoes
3 pieces medium sized carrots
500 ml mayonnaise
1 can (836 g) pineapple tidbits or chunks
1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
3 tablespoons of chopped spring onions (optional)
1 cup cheddar cheese, diced (optional)
Iodized salt to taste (pepper, optional)
1. In a big pot, boil potatoes and carrots (covered with water) for about 15 to 20 minutes or until cracks on the potato skin appears. (tip:
pierce a potato with a toothpick. If you can pierce it with little resistance and the toothpick comes out clean, the potatoes & carrots are
2. Drain potatoes and carrots, let cool.
3. Once cooled, the skin can be easily be pealed by hand.
4. Dice the potatoes and carrots (about 1×1 cm)
5. Boil the chicken breast in water with some salt. Let cool, then shred the chicken meat in 1 inch lengths.
6. Drain pineapple chunks or tidbits.
7. Combine all ingredients (potatoes, chicken meat, pineapple, carrots, pickle relish, mayonnaise…) in a big bowl and salt to taste. You may add pepper if you wish.
8. Refrigerate before serving.
Chicken Potato Salad Cooking Tip:
* You may add the optional ingredients (diced cheese, chopped onions, spring onions) or a handful of raisins for added flavour.