Chicken Tinola is a ginger and onion based soup with chicken as the usual main ingredient.
This is an authentic Filipino main dish and best complimented with green papaya wedges (an alternative is chayote) and chili pepper leaves.
1 kilo whole chicken (cut into parts or choice cuts of breast, thighs of wings).
1/2 cup dahon ng sili
2 1/2 cups young papaya or sayote
2 tablespoons ginger (roughly chopped)
1 medium onion (diced)
1/2 head garlic (minced)
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons patis
5 cups water
pinch of salt and pepper
1. In a casserole, heat oil and saute’ garlic, onion and ginger.
2. Add the chicken and water.
3. Bring to a boil and lower fire, let simmer until chicken is cooked.
4. Pour in patis, salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add in papaya or sayote, allow to cook.
6. When ready to serve, put in dahon ng sili.
7. Serve hot.