Orange Squares, the tangy, sweet and sour taste of the juice and the aroma of the zest combine well with the cake.
Orange Squares Makes: approximately 2 dozen
Orange Squares Prep Time: 20 to 30 minutes
Orange Squares Total Baking Time: 55 to 75 minutes
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon fresh orange zest, divided
4 large eggs
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, almonds, confectioners’ sugar, and 1 teaspoon orange zest. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Press evenly into the bottom of a 13-x-9-x-2-inch baking pan.
3. Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, orange juice, remaining 2 teaspoons orange zest, and extract. Combine remaining 1/4 cup flour and baking powder; add to sugar mixture, whisking to combine. Pour over crust.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, or until set. Sprinkle with confectionersÂ¿ sugar, if desired. Cut into squares to serve.