How to make Crispy Squid Relleno:
The term relleno refers to any dish that is stuffed, be it chicken, fish, pork, or seafood. Try squid with a ground meat stuffing.
Good for 4 to 6 persons Preparation Time is 25 to 30 minutes Cooking Time is 20 minutes.
For the sweet and sour sauce:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon calamansi juice
1 cup water
1 cup 7-Up
For the squid:
25o grams ground pork
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 onion, minced
1/2 cup minced jicama (singkamas)
1/2 cup minced carrots
1/4 cup chopped Chinese chives (kutsay)
1/2 cup oyster sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 pieces big squid, cleaned
2 cups breading mix
1/2 cup cornstarch
oil for deep frying
1. For the sweet and sour sauce: Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cool until thick.
2. For the squid: In a bowl, combine ground pork, garlic, onions, singkamas, carrots, kutsay, oyster sauce, egg, salt, and pepper. Blend well.
3. Stuff the ground pork mixture in the squid. Attach the heads and secure with a toothpicks.
4. In a bowl, combine breading mix with cornstarch. Dredge the stuffed squids with this mixture.
5. Deep fry until crisp and brown. Drain on paper towels.
6. Serves squid relleno with sweet and sour sauce.
TIP: For an all-veggie stuffing: Clean squid then stuff with a mixture of juliened carrots, singkamas, onions and leeks. Secure the ends with toothpicks then grill until done. You can baste it with bottled barbecue sauce or oyster sauce.