Ukoy or Okoy Recipe is a delicious dish that is very popular in the Philippines, it is an easy to cook and very flavorful Filipino appetizer.
Ukoy is prepared with whole small shrimps with head and shell on, mixed in flour, cornstarch and egg batter and deep fried until crispy.
1 cup small shrimps, cleaned
1/4 cup flour
1 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups mung bean sprouts (togue)
1 piece raw egg
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups cooking oil
1. Combine cornstarch, flour, baking powder, egg, water, salt, and ground black pepper then stir until diluted.
2. Add the shrimps and mung bean sprouts in the mixture and lightly stir to distribute.
3. Heat a frying pan or small cooking pot and pour-in the cooking oil.
4. When the oil is hot enough, scoop about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the mixture and quickly (but cautiously) drop it in hot oil.
5. Cook each side for 2 to 3 minutes or until the color turns golden brown. Please note that cooking time may vary. Repeat this step until the entire mixture is consumed.
6. Remove the deep-fried ukoy from the pan and place in a plate lined with paper towel to absorb the oil.
7. Remove the paper towel and serve with sinamak.
8. Share and enjoy!