Ginataang Langka is unripe jackfruit cooked in coconut milk. This recipe is proof of the versatility of coconut milk when it comes to authentic Filipino dishes.
I grew up knowing that I could taste ginataang langka every Holy Week. But of course, I also get to eat this dish every now and then.
1/2 kilo langka meat (raw, washed and cleaned)
1 tablespoon leeks (chopped)
1 small red onion (diced)
1 cup dried fish (flaked)
2 cups coconut milk (1st extraction)
1 cup coconut milk (2nd extraction)
3 pieces laurel leaves
Pinch of salt and pepper
1. In a deep casserole, boil langka meat until tender.
2. In another casserole, saute onion, leeks, laurel leaves and dried fish.
3. Add in langka and pour in coconut milk (1st extraction).
4. Bring up to a boil for 5 minutes.
5. Lower heat and simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. When cooked, pour in coconut cream of 2nd extraction and cook for 3 minutes.