Ginataang Puso ng Saging or banana blossom cooked in coconut milk is a popular dish known all over the Philippines.
Being one of the most common tropical plants, banana is found anywhere you go in the country. And since the bud of the banana blossom will no longer be used after the banana fruits are harvested, Filipinos have looked for several ways to put the banana blossom into good use and several delicious recipes can be prepared out of it.
2 cans (15 ounce each) banana blossoms (puso ng saging)
1 cup coconut milk
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium onion, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
2 pieces long green chili (or banana pepper)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 teaspoons salt
1. Heat a pan and pour-in cooking oil.
2. Saute garlic and onion.
3. When the onion becomes soft, add the banana blossoms. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add vinegar and long green chili. Let boil.
5. Pour in the coconut milk. Let boil, and then simmer until the liquid reduces.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Turn the heat off, and then transfer the cooked banana blossoms on a serving plate.